Thursday, February 01, 2007

Notes from the road

Greetings from Top Secret Location!

So far, the trip has been great. No travel snafus, and I even got to see and catch up with old grad school friends my first night here. Things have been busy, busy, busy and my brain feels like it's about to fall out, but so far it's been a very worthwhile and productive trip.

I have met so many people already. It totally energizes me. (Plus I ran into someone I met at Grace Hopper---further proof of the awesomeness of that conference.)

One thing I was not sure about was whether anyone would "notice" the pregnancy and/or say anything (yeah, like you can't notice it at this point!). But people have not been shy about asking, and as a result I've had some really good conversations about parental leave policies, stay-at-home-husbands (more prevalent in certain circles than one might think), and all sorts of peripherally related stuff. It's always interesting to compare and contrast your own institution's policies to other institutions'.

Tomorrow is another full day, so I'd better get some rest and try to piece my brain back together....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a not odd request for you, Professor Jane: as a pretty regular (and happy) reader of your blog, I'm hoping you'd be willing to join in on "Happy Woman Professor" blog day, coming up on the 14th. The impetus for this day is described here and here.

It's a small way to build on some of the local work you do (I've sent quite a few friends who are grad students in cs and engineering to your blog)...

Thoughts? Thanks -- and good luck with all you do.

Jane said...

Oooh, Anne, sounds intriguing! Count me in!

Unknown said...

i am obviously waaaaay behind, but i'm just now finding out you're expecting! congrats!

Jane said...

Thanks, geeky!