Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's meme

I don't remember where I first saw this, but I last saw it at Dr. Crazy's.

1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Skiied part of a black diamond run. Became pregnant. Finally committed to vegetarianism (I'd been "trying it out" for a while). Taught a freshman seminar (and can't wait to do it again!).

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I hit 2 out of 4, although I'm really close on the 2 I've missed and should hit those this month. I've decided to do monthly goals as opposed to resolutions, although I do have a theme for the year (courtesy of trillwig, found via Dr. Shellie), which is Take Back Control of My Life.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, a good friend of mine.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
None! What a bummer. 2005 was much better for international travel.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Peace of mind and perspective about my career.

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
For various reasons, I had an ultrasound very early in my pregnancy. Seeing that tiny little image was the most amazing thing ever, and without question the most emotionally moving experience of my life.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my job.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Chickening out of going on the market this year. I think that warrants a post of its own.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A good pair of running shoes. They really do make a huge difference.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The women undergrad CS majors I work with. For excelling in spite of the crap and obstacles they face, and for being incredible role models and mentors to the women coming up behind them. They inspire me every single day.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My colleagues, for continually "not getting it".

14. Where did most of your money go?
Medical expenses.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My sabbatical! And, in fits and starts, my research.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
"Let Go", by Frou Frou. I played this song so much during the turbulent months during the spring, and it always made me feel better and more hopeful about things.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
(a) happier; (b) fatter (but for a good reason!); (c) richer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Took the initiative on getting together with friends. I'm really lazy when it comes to this.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stress!

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent it with Mr. Jane's family. It was nice and low-key.

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
All over again, yes.

22. How many one-night stands?
Zero.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
It's a tie between "What Not to Wear" and "Mythbusters".

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I pretty much hate the same people. :)

25. What was the best book you read?
Geez, I can barely remember what I read this year. I'd have to say the 4th Harry Potter book (was that the Goblet of Fire?). Yes, I am behind the rest of the world on the whole Harry Potter thing. I did finally start #5, though---it took me a while to get over #4, to be honest.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I'd have to say Pandora. Highly addictive.

27. What did you want and get?
Pregnant. That, and a sweet professional opportunity in 2007.

28. What did you want and not get?
Job security, in the sense of feeling good about getting tenure here.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Once again, I'm having a hard time remembering what movies I've seen this year. I should start keeping lists of these things. I really liked "Thank You For Smoking" and "Little Miss Sunshine".

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a kick-ass birthday----Mr. Jane took me out to dinner, and surprised me by inviting my closest and dearest (local) friends. I was so touched (and completely surprised). It was a wonderful night. I turned.....30-something.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Owning a clue stick and being able to use it freely on my colleagues when they say and do bone-headed things.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
"Look good to feel good". I only wear things that make me feel and look fabulous. Life's too short to be frumpy!

33. What kept you sane?
Mr. Jane, yoga/exercise, and close girlfriends.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm not sure "fancy" is the right word here, but I am always impressed by athletes who give back in big and substantial ways to their communities, to charity, etc. The one that comes to mind from this year is Joey Cheek.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Global warming/environmental issues.

36. Who did you miss?
This year, a number of my good friends/colleagues went on to other positions at other, faraway places (mainly for 2-body reasons). One in particular has been a big loss. She is a fellow scientist, was one of the first people I met here, and an incredibly great friend. I miss her terribly (but will be seeing her sometime in the next month or 2---yay!).

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I had a student in my freshman seminar who has really had an impact on me. She is incredibly smart, talented, funny, and driven. She wants to be a scientist of some kind or another. She's also been through an amazing amount of crap in her life so far. She is inspiring, and I believe (and fervently hope) she will go far. She's one of those students I will remember forever.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Never assume anyone else has your best interests in mind. You are your own best advocate, and you are responsible for your own success (or failure).

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
it gains the more it gives
and then it rises with the fall
so hand me that remote
can't you see that all that stuff's a sideshow

such boundless pleasure
we've no time for later now
you can't await your own arrival
you've 20 seconds to comply

so let go, jump in
oh well, whatcha waiting for
it's alright
'cause there's beauty in the breakdown

-- "Let Go", by Frou Frou

No comments: