Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Late night musings

Why is it that tasks that I think will take me 20 minutes (or should take me 20 minutes) take three times as long....or longer?

Why is it that every time I think "oh, I don't feel like working out, I'll just do an easy stint on the bike for 20 minutes", I end up kicking butt and having an excellent workout?

Why is it that I feel the need to research the heck out of every single online purchase I make? Even if I'm just sending someone flowers?

Why on earth am I still awake?? I have a looong day tomorrow, and starting the day sleep-deprived is not gonna help matters any.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know these are mostly rhetorical musings, but I'm annoying enough to respond to a couple anyway (if for no other reason than to let you know that I am reading (and continuing to enjoy) your blog :-).

Why is it that tasks that I think will take me 20 minutes take three times as long?

I was reading in Julie Morgenstern's Time Management from the Inside Out that being able to estimate how long it takes one to do things is a crucial time-management task. I suppose it is, but not sure that I'll ever master it!

Why is it that every time I think "oh, I don't feel like working out, I end up kicking butt and having an excellent workout?

My guess would be that one's expectations are lowered and that maybe frees one from any hidden perfectionism about what the workout should be like? At least for me, a lot of times when the pressure is off I end up doing my best work/play/whatever.

Hope you made it to bed early tonight (good thing there weren't any thunderstorms?! ;-).