Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Random thoughts for a Tuesday

1. Closing your office door and/or working at home so that you can work uninterrupted only works if you commit yourself to ignoring your email. Even if the emails get increasingly urgent. I don't even want to think about how much time I spent sending/reading/responding to emails today, nor do I want to compare that to the amount of time I spent doing actual research.

2. In theory, working with students is fabulous and fulfilling for all involved. In practice, this is only true until the student screws something up. Royally.

3. I am sure it is like this in many places, but I am always amazed at how little my colleagues and I compliment each other. I value my colleagues. My colleagues (I hope) value me. So why the heck do we have such a hard time telling each other this? Why is it that I always hear compliments about my teaching, service, and research second- or third-hand, and never from the source? Why is it so hard to compliment each other?

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

When I'm working at home, I allow myself to check my e-mail on the hour. It's like a little reward system. That's my home e-mail account (friends and family). My work e-mail I check only once each day.

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane said...

Oops, accidentally removed my own comment. Thanks, jo(e). That's a really good idea. I try to limit the email checking generally, but I was not very good at that yesterday.