Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Random Tuesday musings

* I thought this sabbatical thing would mean that I would have more time and energy to post. But I'm finding myself knee-deep in work right now, in a good way: I'm getting things done, I'm engaged in my work, and I'm making progress! And I'm trying to make a conscious effort to get away from the computer more often, especially nights and weekends. That whole balance thing.

* Of course the productivity is not without its glitches. Worst use of my time in the past week: spending 2+ hours commenting and fixing the code one of my research students wrote last year. It was an unholy mess. Unfortunately, I need to use this code for my next round of experiments, and so understanding what's there (and what's not there) is kind of important. But what a colossal waste of my time.

* One weird and unexpected thing about sabbatical is that it is so easy to lose track of days and dates. It's kind of disorienting.

* I did not turn on my computer once this past weekend. I spent about 90% of the weekend on the couch watching football and reading. It felt decadent.

* Speaking of football, I should not quit my day job to become a football prognosticator. My predictions are always, always wrong. Luckily, I'm not a betting woman, so no harm done.

* Confession time: I am also doing Project 365, as so many of you are. But, I've decided not to blog it. I think it would be cool to blog it, on one level, but most of the stuff I want to document this year is personal and identifying. So, for now these pictures will just be living on my hard drive.

No comments: