Sunday, September 24, 2006

Resolutions for the week

Looking at my schedule for this week and the many, many due dates coming up this week, I'm going to have to be *really* organized to get everything done (and still keep my sanity). But even with everything on my to-do list, there are little things that I can do that will help my productivity. So, this week I resolve to do things that will help my productivity and my sanity:

* Close my office door. I don't have to be available all the time. It's ok to pretend I'm not around for a couple hours a day.

* Work at home when I can, even if it's just for an hour or two before going to campus. I've been much more productive at home lately; I'm not sure if that's because I'm not being interrupted all the time at home, or if I feel more comfortable at home (less stressed out about being on campus), or a combination of the two.

* Keep my research time sacred.

* Use "found time" for research. (what a great week to have a standing meeting cancelled! I'm very lucky.)

* Continue to make time to work out. Even if it's just a half-hour walk at lunch.

* Focus on the task at hand and the time I have available, rather than what's left to do.

* Kick perfection to the curb. If there ever was a time for "good enough", this is it!

2 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Those are good resolutions! I hope they help your week go a little better.

Baker said...

You have to read "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. I'm not much for business-y self-help books but this one kind of changed my life.

I'm so much more organized, and able to generate that "found" time and use it effectively. Also, I'm much less stressed about the million things coming at me all the time. Try it out.