Thursday, September 01, 2005

Unbelievable

Like many of you, I've spent the few free hours I've had in this crazy week surfing the online news sites and watching the cable news channels, looking at the sad and horrific images coming out of the hurricane-devastated areas. It's so unbelievable; it's hard to wrap your mind around something like this.

I visited New Orleans earlier this year, for the first time, and it's been surreal trying to match my memories of the city with the images of the city underwater, totally devastated. I walked those streets. I saw those buildings. And now it's all underwater. Unfathomable.

And I can't even begin to imagine the human toll. I have a home. I know where my next meal is coming from. I can turn on the tap and get drinkable water, flip the switch and have light. What is it like to not have a home anymore? To lose all of your possessions in one day? To go thirsty and hungry for who knows how long? To put your survival into the hands of some stranger? To not have control over your life anymore? To be dumped in a strange city, with no money and no friends, just a few vouchers for essential services for a few days....and then what?

Like Geeky Mom, I feel pretty powerless. Yeah, I donated....but that just seems so small in the grand scheme of things.

(and speaking of donations, I've put some links in the sidebar to donation sites. It's the least I can do.)

No comments: